TRACKERS To Release in MAY, 2010

When I wrote the book and the screenplay for Skeleton Creek and Ghost in the Machine I was completely unsure about whether or not the format would work. The idea of a book and a movie at the same time made a lot of sense to me as an alternative reading experience for a wired generation, but I had no idea if anyone would agree with me. I hoped the idea would find support and a new way of telling stories could be not only born, but grown into an exciting new genre. Well, young readers have spoken, and they’ve spoken loudly. Skeleton Creek and Ghost in the Machine certainly don’t replace traditional books – not by a long shot – but they do have a place in the hearts and minds of a technologically driven culture.

I’ve been saying from the very start that the book is always the destination with these kinds of stories. Everything else about multimedia books is designed to get young readers turning more pages, and that is certainly the case with my new project, which Scholastic is announcing today.

Here’s the first round of information about TRACKERS, the follow up to Skeleton Creek and Ghost in the Machine. Think of TRACKERS as Skeleton Creek 2.0, a super-spy novel with more characters, more gadgets, and more cameras.

Today we’re releasing 3 items:

• The cover for the book right here in this post
  • An op-ed piece I wrote for Publishers Weekly
  • And a new video about the project
  • Thank you for following along!
    Patrick

1. Kathleen Swinehart says:

I am a librarian at Lake City Middle School in Michigan. The students just love the skeleton Creek & Tracker series. The teachers elt the students come to the lbirary during silent reading time to watch the video’s.It is a great concept and keeps them interested. Is Trackes just a 2 books set?

2. billy says:

i like this book but i cant find the website game

3. Joe Bush says:

Kidding about earlier. You’re awesome mate!

4. Joe Bush says:

Howdy y’all!!! I’m ol’ Joe Bush! My leg’s all smashed up, and I’m ’bout to cry.. Someone come comfort me..

5. Peyton says:

I just got the book today on May 17th, 2010! It is so cool so far!!!!!!! I really have just read it all night, i also read all skeleton creeks!!!! And the series The Dark Hills! My book store Barnes & Noble is getting Atherton in next month and i WILL BE done Trackers then! I love all your BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!1 please right back please i really want to hear from my FAVORITE AUTHOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. angel says:

you r awsome

7. Katie says:

Dear Patrick Carman,
      I went to my local book fair last year, and everyone was hiding the first Skeleton Creek book. You may be thinking, “hiding?” Well, at our book fair when a book is at the book fair that EVERYONE wants, then people start hiding books behind other books and then coming back later to buy them. Well, I wanted to read Skeleton Creek, but all the book fair copies were hidden! I was fortunate enough to find one of the hidden copies and buy it. That night I went home, sat under the covers with my iPod (stocked with Sarah’s videos) and READ, READ, READ and WATCHED, WATCHED, WATCHED! There were some parts where I nearly jumped out of the covers, but it was AWESOME! I loved the book so much, and when Ghost in the Machine came out, I did the exact same thing! I absolutely love that series and I am so excited to read the next skeleton Creek!
      While I have high hopes for Trackers, I don’t think I will ever love any book as much as I love Skeleton Creek. Me and my friend are dressing up as Sarah for halloween! Also I am going to write a fan letter to Amber Larsen because she is my favorite actress.

8. Sharon says:

My daughter loves the Ghost in the Machine books!!! She is so excited for another one to be coming out!

9. Leslie says:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Patrick Carmen im so exited that TRACKERS is almost coming out i have to read it it looks so cool i jst cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Alex Ambroziak says:

Instead there should be a third Skeleton Creek book. I might like trackers, but I LOVE Skeleton Creek! Joe Bush is like the BOMB!

11. jo says:

YOU ROCK!

• Leslie says:

Hey alex ambroziak my name is leslie and i want to tell u that patrick carmen said that there will be a third and fourth book of skeleton creek im so exited to yes ..)

• joey says:

3 and 4 book! AWESOME~! any idea on release dates? probly not but I guess i wouldnt no if you knew or not

12. stevos says:

i liked the first booooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! skeleton creek

13. Javier says:

I really can’t wait for this! This takes a lot of work! But its worth it, right?

14. Connor says:

Keep doing the vidios with the books! They are awesome!

• Jody Siahaan
      My sixth graders, at school, can't get enough of your book. (Skeleton Creek - Ryan's Journal) So much so that we are goi ...

• Ashlyn Dykstra
      I love his books too!!!!! ...

• Ashlyn Dykstra
      I am in middle school but this took me about 3 days to read all the books in the series. ...